Thursday, June 11, 2009

Over on the Steampunk Side of the Shop....

video

I decided to give Murr-E a break and add a feature to my Clockwork 3D Binoculars that I had been scheming for a while. I sketched up a scanner dish in AutoCAD and printed the drawing full scale. I cut the shape from .032" dead soft copper and hammered the final form using a ball peen hammer and a leather glove on my anvil. Using the leather between the copper and the anvil allows the metal to be selectively stretched with each blow. Next I cut the brackets from the same material, bent a small lip for increased joint area. I clamped the brackets in place and soldered them with a propane torch. Finally I wire brushed the flux away and drilled the holes to match the clockworks. Enjoy the video!

1 comment: